The Best Steak Restaurant in Bath City Centre
At Bar + Block Bath we’ve been serving scrumptious steaks and delicious signature cocktails since 2017. It’s kinda our thing. Treat yourself to a meal in our open plan restaurant or, if you’re after something a little more cosy and romantic, enjoy your date night in one of our booths. And don’t forget about the bar, the perfect meeting spot for an evening. Our large chef’s table can also be booked to host a business meeting with easy access to speedy lunch dishes, nibbles and WiFi. Whatever the occasion, we pride ourselves on our food and drink. We’re famous for our hand-cut steak, cut as big as you like, and served just how you like it. We’ve also got experienced bartenders ready to shake + stir your cocktail of choice or pour you a wine or beer. There’s always something for everyone.
You’ll find Bar + Block Bath on James Street West, just off Bath City Centre. We’re located right next to the Odeon cinema so the perfect place for some pre or post film drinks and nibbles. Within a 10 minute walk, you’ll find Bath city centre bustling with culture and history whether you’re looking to visit the Jane Austen Centre, Bath Spa or the Theatre Royal. There’s so much on our doorstep. If shopping is more your thing, then we’re just a couple of minutes from the highstreet and if you’re a Bridgerton fan you can easily hunt down the filming locations.
Tom and our front of house team at Bar + Block Bath look forward to welcoming you and serving up our famous steaks, hand cut to any size and cooked to order. They’re a passionate bunch with an in-depth understanding of all things steak and wine. Over at our bar we have expert mixologists ready to help you unwind with a signature cocktail - or two! So just let us know if you have any questions, even if it’s about the city itself, and we’ll be happy to help and to make recommendations.
Our Kitchen Manager, Gemma, recommends her favourite cut, Fillet. This area is rarely used by the cattle so it remains beautifully tender with a delicate flavour. To retain the tenderness, we recommend to cook it medium rare and not past medium well. Serve with our beef dripping chips, peppercorn sauce and a side of garlic mushrooms.
Chef’s choice home recipe
Here are Gemma’s top tips to recreate the magic of our expertly cooked steak at home:
To recreate the magic at home:
● Go to your local butchers and select the cut of meat depending on your pallet (See our home page for info on each cut).
● An hour before you cook, remove the steak from the fridge and allow it to reach room temperature. Rub with oil and add a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
● Add your steaks to your pan (or BBQ), ensuring the equipment isreally hot. Remember to turn half way through cooking so that the meat will caramelise beautifully and evenly, leaving a delicious crust.
● The cooking time will vary depending on how you like your steak cooked. I like mine to be grilled for approx. 6 minutes to give the perfect medium rare.
● Once cooked to your liking, let the steak rest for a couple of minutes before serving with the sides and steak sauce of your choice.
● If you fancy a twist, marinate overnight in blended garlic, parsley and oil to give an added flavour boost.
Supporting the community
As well as fundraising for Whitbread’s chosen charity, Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital, our General Manager Julie volunteers for Helping Hands. Supporting the local Soup kitchen with her expertise from her catering background. We look forward to being able to join forces with our local community and will be looking for partnerships soon. Please get in touch if you’d like us to work together and support your cause.